View Single Post
      04-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #12
RaleighM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzpadj View Post
That is because in TT, there is no contingency for BFG, while there is for Hoosier. The Hoosier has that last little "all out grip" (talking a couple tenths) compared to the BFG but most aren't even at that envelope that they need to worry about the difference between the two.

The BFG R1S is a fantastic tire that is 99% of the A7 while resisting overheating on track as badly, and then being "useable" in heat cycles for far longer.

I personally think the R1 is a better tire in every way to the R7 (in both grip and longevity). I think unless you have big issues with overheating your tires; the R1S is the way to go. You get just as many useable heat cycles as the R1 and R7 since the R1S stays on grip till it chords (20+ heat cycles). The R1 and R7 still have tread but become pretty much worthless for grip past 25 heat cycles.

RE71 is a street tire and may have incredible grip but its not a Hoosier or BFG DOT-R. Early reports about the DZIII is is it is more in the vein of a RS4 Hankook than the RE71R (trades grip for life).
I've overheated the outside edge of the fronts so I should probably look at the R1 instead of the R1S. Appreciate the info.