01-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #18
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post
Would rather have a dip stick. Sometimes the manual way is better.
I agree, in that I wish they would include a dip stick as a manual way to verify. Sure the sensor is great as long as it's working correctly, but once or twice a year I'd love to be able to check with a dip stick to make sure the sensor hasn't unknowingly malfunctioned.

Electric-only systems will have limitations, even with certain good redundancies and checks that they have put in.

That being said I do enjoy being able to check the oil level from inside the car. I have it take a measurement 1-2 times a month, and it takes me two comfortable minutes after arriving at home or at work, very convenient.

Along these same lines, to me the TPMS is good and bad. It only alerts you with drastic pressure change, and you can only tell the actual pressure with a manual check. Maybe at some point they will add pressure readings, or even the ability to adjust and regulate the pressure internal to the car. Certain high-cost military and off-road vehicles have that kind of system, but it would be very useful on sports and luxury cars too.
Appreciate 0