10-31-2017, 07:05 PM   #14
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_flare View Post
I haven't because as much as I would love a m4, I can't imagine it being the perfect everyday driver, driving 300 miles a week and lasting as long as my 435i.

I feel confident the 435i has a better chance to go 5 years 100k than an m4.

Other than that, if your situation is different, m4 is the way to go.
I'd agree it has a better chance. I've also read S55 owners with 65k with no issues. I'd hoping if I pull the trigger I'll get another cheaper car to put most of my miles on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
I wouldn't get the current generation M3/M4 at this point in the game. So before the villagers start grabbing their pitchforks, I'll state that this is entirely my opinion and not necessarily fact lol.

The M3/M4 was definitely the car to have several years ago when the platform was new and the competition wasn't as stiff. 425hp with a 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds is getting dangerously close to what a new S4/S5 or C43 pump out. Given that the latter send power to all 4 wheels, I'd be hard pressed to make the current M3/M4 my car of choice as a year round driver or a long haul daily commuter. I'd take a pass on the current M3/M4 until the next generation version comes out on the G platform. I'd only really be inclined to make the jump now if I was able to get an absolutely incredible deal on it.
I'm not interested in the S5 because of the old body style, and I'm not a fan of the C43 coupes, I'm tall and the sedan is too small for me. I also have Xdrive now and I miss RWD more than anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Really depends on the usage. Will it be a commuter?
I drive about 20k miles a year. I'd say 40-50% of that would go on the M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
I actually made the switch and I'm not regretting it one bit. As a matter in fact, I don't think that you will find many to say otherwise.

To address what T_flare was saying earlier:
I have put almost 8000 miles on the car since I bought it in June as my commute is quite long.
I do Geneva to Lausanne 3 times a week, which brings me to at least 300 miles a week with the car.
So far, it's proving to be an excellent everyday car. I haven't tracked it yet, but I plan to.

Anyway, it's comfortable for the commute and makes me look forward each morning and evening when I get to drive it.

And then there are times where I get to drive it on the twisty bits and you really see what it's capable of.
It's a very different beast to my 435d. It feels more raw, more planted and gives you better feedback on what the car is doing.

When you're in throttle mode Sport+, the throttle response is amazing. It just feels instantaneous.
When you accelerate with the DCT in S3 (most aggressive mode) and upshift, it feels like you're riding an uninterrupted wave of power

Oddly enough, in this car, my wife doesn't get sick anymore when I drive more ... spiritedly I put it to the better suspension.

As a side note, what I didn't expect was the attention that it gets on the road, in a way that my 435 never drew. I've gotten waves, thumbs up and photos taken of my car from other people on the road.

That's not to say that it's a flawless car, but to me, it's by far the best one that I've owned to date.

The only downside compared to my old one (435d) would be the fuel consumption.
But I think against a 435i, the difference in consumption is lower.

I also didn't get to see the cost over time yet either, so that's something to think about.
Insurance wise, it actually lowered from my old one

I'd like to end by addressing 5ilver-5amurai 's point.
The next gen 3 series will debut next year, but the next gen M3/M4 will only start production ~2021.
That's a lot of time to wait for a "new" one.
New G chassis will be out of my budget, I'd be looking at a used 2015-2016 at 50-55k.

I'm def curious about the cost of ownership of an M4 vs 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Tried the M4.... got a used 435i loaded M options instead and tweaked her. Saved about $15,000 to $20,000 doing it. Actually, would have gotten the Jag F-Type R, but not enough legroom for me.

Anywho.... For me, the 435i tweaked makes for a far better overall street legal car than the M4. If you're looking to track the car often, then perhaps the M4 would be better but not by as much as you might think as the N/S55 engine pumps out well over 400HP/TQ.

Have you tried the Jag F-Type R?
I have upgraded suspension as well (KW coilovers) and it rides great but still feels heavy around corners. I've already spent a good $5k on mods and doing bolt ons and BM3 to get me to 400+ hp would be another 5k anyways, so why not just go M3?
Appreciate 0