Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnad View Post
Just purchased a 2018 x1 with the drivers assistance package. I'm also looking into retrofitting. Any news? I was really hoping this would just be a code change since the optical system is already in there.
I assume you were hoping to retrofit ACC (active cruise control).

The short answer is that you would as a minimum require new steering wheel switches and if you do not have EDC (electronic damper control) you would also require a SAS control unit (and cabling to fit it). It appears BMW have routed ACC to work through a different (and rare) control unit to other functions served by the KAFAS camera. One can only suspect it was in order to make sure it was not just a simple code change. PulsePulse64 is investigating whether there is a socket lurking somewhere in the wiring loom into which a SAS module could be plugged. We await his findings, he is to be commended for his efforts.
Quote:
Just purchased a 2018 x1 with the drivers assistance package. I'm also looking into retrofitting. Any news? I was really hoping this would just be a code change since the optical system is already in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
I assume you were hoping to retrofit ACC (active cruise control).

The short answer is that you would as a minimum require new steering wheel switches and if you do not have EDC (electronic damper control) you would also require a SAS control unit (and cabling to fit it). It appears BMW have routed ACC to work through a different (and rare) control unit to other functions served by the KAFAS camera. One can only suspect it was in order to make sure it was not just a simple code change. PulsePulse64 is investigating whether there is a socket lurking somewhere in the wiring loom into which a SAS module could be plugged. We await his findings, he is to be commended for his efforts.
Yeah If you have the damper control chances you'd have the SAS ECU.
Unfortunately I don't have much extra to share I've looked to see if I could find wiring out of an F48 that had it but that's been next to impossible. I may end up looking to see if I could get the wiring from an i3 since it's similar.
Appreciate 0