12-23-2017, 05:20 AM   #86
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Let us make some order in the cabinet here.
FWD is one issue, engine size and configuration completely another and both have nothing to do with good vs. bad technical execution.

The problem with BMW and Mercedes FWD vehicles is in bad technical execution or badly refined platform. There is nothing wrong with FWD in itself if done correctly; sadly, both decided to make a platform that is cheap and just glue the badge on it; their FWD platform is not about refinement but rather only about how to pull as much money as possible out of people's pockets.

Many European mass-market cars drive much better and offer much more for a fraction of the BMW/M-B FWD price. You're mentioning VW; the EU Golf (US one is a bit different) is the reference in its class; the Mercedes A class drives like a wooden cart in comparison and the Golf has even a better interior. Open the British "What car?" magazine; A class got 3 stars and Golf got 5 stars.
But the people buy, they buy the badge.

Audi uses the knowledge and investments of the whole VW group (VW, Skoda, Seat) for their smaller FWD platforms; Audi A3, Audi Q3, Audi Q4. The upcoming models of these cars are going to offer a truly premium driving performance
You’re saying BMW have ‘badly executed’ the fwd platform... really? Surely it’s a bit early to tell don’t you think!? Correct me if I’m wrong, but they only currently make two fwd cars, the X1 & the 2 series AT. I haven’t taken much notice of the latter, & most X1 are AWD, but certainly the X1 is rated best in class! I don’t believe the active tourer is badly rated either!

How about we wait and see what BMW come up with where they are actually replacing a rwd car with a fwd platform.... you may be surprised! I’m absolutely sure the new 1 series will out drive the current A Class without a doubt!!

Sure, they may fail and a Focus or Golf may end up the better drive, but let’s talk about that when it’s proven and not speculate on how all future front drive BMWs will be rubbish!

Footnote: sure What Car rate the A3 & Golf as 5 star cars... but What Car are not the definitive driving enthusiasts bible... I’d take more notice of CAR or Autocar personally!! (& I wouldn’t be surprised if VW Audi group have a mega ad deal in place with What Car)

Last edited by nozydog; 12-23-2017 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
Antares51.50