View Single Post
      05-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I bought an Ariens IKON "zero-turn" last year after my Simplicity tractor finally gave its last full measure after 20+ years. I wasn't crazy about it at first, because I found it pretty hard to handle. But somewhere along the line last year I found myself just getting on with it so I guess I figured it out. I spend dramatically less time mowing with the zero-turn than I did with the tractor. I also tow a cart and use a lawn roller with it. Not as convenient as the tractor for that stuff but it can be done. My second choice would have been another Simplicity tractor. Still a pretty sturdy piece. Look for a fabricated deck if you want to buy something that is going to last.

We have a Honda HS928 snowblower, with tracks. I hear the new ones had some teething issues, but they also have independent track control and are easier to turn than my beastie. I got tracks because I was sick and tired of having push and shove to keep my old wheeled unit moving. I even had tire chains on it. Proper tracked blowers get down there and just go through it. With snowblowers there is an enormous range of sizes, powers, and capablities. Get what your driveway needs.

Stihl is my small engine vendor of choice. Chain saws, blowers, that stuff.
Appreciate 1