02-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #41
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I work in IT.

I love my Mac, but it simply isn't 100% compatible with the environments I'm usually working in (school districts, municipalities or medical offices). I can use it for most things, and prefer it from a user standpoint, but the Windows machine I know I won't have issues with as far as compatibility in these environments.

I use a MacBook Air for home, and a Lenovo X1 carbon for work. With the specs your current laptop has, it should be fine running Windows 10. Try it out and see how it does. If everything else with the device is fine, it's worth trying it before buying an entirely new laptop. My luck with Lenovo hardware has been pretty good. The SSD will make a big difference as will the i-7 and 8GB RAM. In fact when my company updates laptops in a school district we only purchase machines with SDDs because the difference is night and day (especially on start-up) with Windows 10. My X1 Carbon I'm typing this on has an SSD, i-5, and 8GB of RAM and is running very well, especially considering all of the things I have running in the background right now.

Side note: I also never buy anything new anymore. The last "decent" new laptop I bought was a $1200 Samsung in college. 2 years later the power supply died and it was of course out of warranty. For the remainder of college I bought the cheapest $300 laptop WalMart had and it lasted 4 years.

My Thinkpad I bought on ebay as a refurbished unit for $400, and my MacBook Air was a similar price I believe. Both refurbished, both significantly cheaper than buying new, both working flawless for 2 years now.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

Last edited by CTinline-six; 02-28-2020 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410798.50
243Racing1447.50
wdb4641.50