View Single Post
      02-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #42
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Agreed, saying rotating weight is strictly for changes in speed only applies on paper without considering friction or other real life factors. In the case of an EV I'd say one of the only benefits to the added weight is for regenerative breaking so it wouldn't be all lost as heat. Also battery technology is quite heavy by nature at this time, leading to monstrous curb weights.

Increased acceleration, stopping power, steering feel, etc are definitely a plus with lightweight wheels in everyday driving too. (I have a set of 17" Arc-8s vs my heavy winter 18"s and it is night and day when spring time comes.)

In the case of a human powered cyclist where things are often measured in grams not pounds, I would still rather be aerodynamic than lightweight on a long distance ride with few changes in speed. Pro rider's bikes are weight limited, but that's like talking F1 rules vs autocross rules. I'd also agree a cyclist is way more sensitive to weight than a car. Also goes the same for aerodynamics and gearing. I guess I'm just saying there's diminishing returns, one is more valuable at a certain point.

A couple of calculations I've found says 1g of wheel weight equals 2g of frame weight. I wont copy in a bunch of formulas but they're out there. If applied to cars with heavy runflat wheels times 4 this would surely add up quick!
Appreciate 0