07-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperson View Post
I've been reading about that, but, for the life of me can't quite figure out if that is good news or bad news. I seem to understand DCT is actually faster and smoother in terms of transitioning from gear to gear...but possibly more complex and hence more prone to issues. Is that right? I would assume that if BMW is moving to that technology, they are confident its going to give a good experience?

What are your thoughts?
Torque converters have been around for ages and they just work! DCT is more complex, but can achieve better economy numbers and faster gear changes (we're talking milliseconds that only matter in a super car). Fuel economy is probably the main reason why BMW is switching to DCT for its smallest petrol X1. All the other models will continue to use the old 8 speed Aisin box, which is fantastic in my opinion.

The dry clutch DCTs tend to overheat in performance cars. And wet clutch DCTs are more complex, heavy, and not as economic. As I said, I don't know much about the one used in sDrive 18i. But I'm assuming it's a dry clutch for better fuel economy.

Long story short, you won't really need to worry about transmission overheating with a small engine. Just go for test drive to see if it changes smoothly and promptly. It's not a V12 Lamborghini!!

Tax-wise, BMW.de claims it emits only 1gr/km more than the manual box. Economy is also the same. You're basically paying extra for the convenience.

EDIT: Just saw your other reply. The DCT gear lever is electronic and looks like most other BMWs. The photos in that article aren't correct. Check the configurator or BMW Approved Used photos, if you want to see how it looks like.

Last edited by KPD; 07-13-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0