06-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #75
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
I think some people should shut up about this FWD blahblah and consider the car for what it is. IMO it's a great looking little crossover that will definitely do very well in the category it is competing...

This discussion about BMW losing its soul is getting long in the tooth: they have to make best selling models such as these in order to finance their M cars and the previous X1 was compromised by its RWD architecture with a small cabin space. Most buyers of the new X1 care less about it being FWD (heck, they can have it AWD if they want too) than being practical and driving great. And from the reviews of all released models based on this platform (Active Tourer, new Mini), it drives fantastic, even in FWD.

I personally love my E21 323i and her (sometimes lairy) RWD chassis, but I wouldn't mind having the new X1 and the day to day practicality and safety it offers.

By the way, the Renaul Sports Megane 275 is a FWD and will embarrass many BMWs on a track or back roads.

So get over it!
I wholeheartedly agree with you. You should see some of the complaining going on in the F30 forums of people saying 'omg BMW making fwd active touring soccer mom mobile'. Well, enthusiast F30 buyers aren't the target market anyways. And even if the 2 active tourer came in rwd, they wouldn't buy them either, so what does it matter? Let BMW make money on these volume sellers so that they can continue to offer sporty options such as M vehicles and performance add-ons for their non-M cars.
Appreciate 0