09-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #128
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
I love the looks and smaller-ish size. I'm a bit underwhelmed that they are putting a "35" badge in a 2 liter engine.

Perhaps the new 1 series hatchback will have the same engine? It would be cool to see a new bmw hatch with 300 horses, but I wonder how much better it will be than the Golf R. I mean, at least in the States, it is possible to get this VW for like $40k new (loaded)... so if bmw starts selling a 300hp hatch, it either should be at a similar price point or it needs to be much better in other ways.
35i = 2L four, 40i = 3L six... that’s just the way it is now because technology means so much more power is now available from smaller engines. They can’t badge 190hp, 250hp and 300hp cars as 20i just because they’re all 2 litre engines

Where BMW’s nomenclature once related directly to engine size it now, rather confusingly, bears no relationship to actual engine size (20i excepted) but harks back to those larger engines, having now been downsized, but tuned to produce similar outputs to those old engines to which the badging relates.... simples!!

And yes, the new 1er should get a 135i with this very engine which, though not the straight six of the current car, should be a hoot, as long as they get the fwd chassis right. And yes it will sell at a competitive price to the Golf R I’d bet.... so around £35k or $40... and I’m really hoping the new 1, despite its fwd layout, is a good drive because the 3 has got too big now!

Last edited by nozydog; 09-08-2018 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
rainfall161.50