09-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #15
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
thanks so much for your post - this is the type of info that i was looking for, so thanks so much for taking the time to post.

i'm not taking the car on the track, it's an aesthetic mod, so i was just wondering about comfort and i'm glad to hear that h&r does well. i've used eibach springs on my previous car, a 2018 Lexus IS300 F-Sport, and they were amazing, so hopefully the h&r springs will be just as great.

thanks again!
No problem. H&R and Eibach both offer great lowering spring kits. Eibach tend to lower less than H&Rs. The ride really comes down to how much you are lowering it and how your shocks/struts can still perform with them. For example, on my F10, after installing the springs, the ride was good, but a bit soft for my liking when in comfort mode, but when in sport mode for the suspension it was great. Basically, the dampening needs to be able to accommodate with the adjustment in ride high and spring rate. This is the reason why people consider going coilovers, its allows for greater range of adjustability, tuning and overall matching of specs between the spring and the shocks. However, if you the lowering is only about 1.0-1.5 inches, it should be ok on the stock shocks for a sporty/performance minded vehicle in my opinion. FWIW, I've went the coilover route for most of all of my cars, but I have done springs only in scenarios that a coilover was just overkill or it wasnt available. Ironically, my current X3MC will be lowered on H&R Springs...despite my previous M3s all had either AST, KW or HKS coilovers. For my wife's X2, I will probably keep the stock ride height but just put spacers on it to bring out the stance of the stock wheels.

Oh and just as rice_rocket88 said, technically the 20s dont really fill out the wheel well, they should be the overall same diameter, its just a mixture of the visual aspects that there is a thinner tire and the wheel might have a lower offset, which brings the wheel stance more outward (less sunk in) which can provide a more "filled out" look.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0