View Single Post
      11-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
DJax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328D, 997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM F30 View Post
So, I'm a bit "old school" when it comes to a new car break-in. I have always changed the oil and filter after the first 1,000 miles or so, then followed a regular schedule that is a bit more aggressive than the recommended scheduled maintenance. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea to do the initial oil change for a new BMW right after the break-in period? Reading posts here and on the E92 forum, it looks most owners prefer to change their oil well ahead of recommended schedules, but an early 1,000 mile oil change is debatable. Thoughts?
I have had several 'high end' cars, particularly, Porsche. Every Porsche I had regardless of manufacturer's recommended intervals, I halved that. IOW's I doubled the oil changes...never an issue or a problem. Honest statement: In more than 600,000 miles on three Porsches (combined) never a major engine problem and on tear downs clean cylinders, valves and pistons.

Even with today's synthetic oils -- oils do break down. As they break down so do the lubricating and the cleansing properties. The more frequent oil change minimizes that breakdown. I think its kind of simple. If you want to do it, do it...change it in half the recommended time. If not -- change oil never longer than the recommended time.
Appreciate 0