06-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
You can't put the fastest traffic right by rule because it would generally create more hazards. They should just more thoroughly enforce the passing laws which they do in some parts of the country.

I exercise strict lane discipline when I can. I'm always in the right lane unless passing. About the only time I'll ride in the left lane is if it's backed up behind two or more cars not advancing on each other and I'm waiting for one to clear.

Unfortunately, my sister is a left lane hog. After years of trying discussions aimed to change her behavior I've distilled her logic down to two reasons she persist in sitting in the passing lane.

1. The right lane has to many cars coming on and off the highway. She finds this distracting and scary so she prefers to stay in the lane farthest from merging traffic.

2. She doesn't go slower than the speed limit, if anything she's five or more mph over the limit and nobody should be driving faster than that anyways.

So, I'm guessing this is what's going on with most people riding in the passing lane.
Your reason #2 is the primary cause for selfish left lane hogs. People feel entitled to drive how they see fit and expect anyone else to fall in line and agree with it. I'm going fast enough, why should I move over? Ugh…

As someone who firmly follows the rules of the fast/slow lanes I am always the first one to move over if someone is coming up fast behind me. I'm usually doing well in excess of the speed limit myself but that is irrelevant. It's all about faster traffic, regardless of speed. Plenty of times I'm cruising at 85-90 and someone comes up behind me wanting to go faster. I just move over and let them pass. Why wouldn't I? Can't stand people who refuse to move over. They usually give you the stink eye when you pass them too as if you are the one doing something wrong.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15689.50