03-01-2021, 01:13 PM   #2600
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
We recently had an employee use the company shared drive to store some of his personal data. Because this particular employee is extremely smart and also really dumb, he decided to change the password for the shared drive. (not exactly sure how he had the credentials to do so.) He either entered the password incorrectly initially or simply forgot the password. I don't feel like I need to go into details how well this went over. Let's just say that all of our KPI data for the last 10 years was temporarily lost. IT was able to retrieve all of the lost data, along with way too much personal info on the employee. Said employee is now blocked from the shared drive completely.

To elaborate, we are a over 200 year old Japanese based company, with facilities in the U.S., Japan and Europe. The entire company uses this shared drive. When it became known that the reason none of us could access the drive, then to find out it was an American employee, then to find out it was an employee at our facility......yeah, things turned dark fast.
Heh - reminds me of the good old days working with a friend and we were either using NT3.51 or NT4 workstation - can't remember which. Anyway - I decided to remotely edit his registry, and changed all his colors to black - so his screen was black on black, with black everything and black everything else. He was kinda miffed but saw the funny side and I helped him restore it back to normal after a bit.

To prevent me doing that again, he removed *ALL* permissions from everyone (system process, Users, the WORKS) for the Windows folder and all subfolders. I can't remember how far through it got before it locked up and never came back. Mike took me out for beers that night and confessed to what he had done - I fell off my chair laughing
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12803.00
King Rudi13154.00