bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpatty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
When not under heavy load, the transmission does a brilliant job on its own, left to its own devices. I don't see the point in shifting manually just cruising around town. Its not like the car is ever in the wrong gear. This transmission is one of if not the best in the business. It also isn't like there is some tactile reward from pulling the paddles. It isn't like shifting a proper manual gearbox, even remotely. I like using the paddles if I am driving winding roads and really want to hold gears to my spec but even then, sport/sport+ does an almost identical job.

I also stay out of sport mode at low speeds because it shifts more abruptly then is needed at low speeds and putting around town and holds gears a little long for my taste. I mean its an automatic transmission afterall, a big selling point being ease and smoothness. I guess I don't understand OP's motivation but each to their own. Like why not be in a car with a 3rd pedal?
Let me be clear that I love the transmission. I almost don't miss my manual. Almost.

I've owned manuals exclusively since I've been able to drive so almost 20 years. I keep it in auto most of the time around town but I prefer the control in moderate to heavy traffic on surface streets. The car can't anticipate when I may need a lower gear or maintain a gear for any given situation.
Most of the time the transmission is in the right gear in sport + but sometimes I use the paddles to intervene or put it in full manual. Most folks who drive manual prefer to be in a lower gear than the computer selects for fuel economy.
Appreciate 0