01-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #216
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinebuilder View Post
I think that if you want an affordable electric car Tesla is the way to go. A key reason is the charging infrastructure. It is a huge advantage, and it’s why I think Tesla is going to dominate for at least the near future.

I have test driven them and they are impressive even with their flaws. They are faster than ICE cars with instant torque. The Taycan is also nice but just too expensive for most people.

That all said, I recently bought a Toyota Prius Prime as a spare car instead. It was half the cost of the Tesla, works as an all electric or a hybrid, and has a 660 mile range.
The charging infrastructure makes close to zero difference to me, our first electric car would have it be one of our two cars and we would do whatever possible to never use them. 95% of our trips would be local and I would use the ICE for long distance travel as the infrastructure for gas cars and the amount of time to refuel is massively better then the EV.

With our current jobs the number of trips per year where we go over 200 miles is really small.

I agree with you on cars like the Prius, if the goal is affordable transportation, with close to zero travel hassles and drastically cutting fuel usage its hard to beat cars like the Prius.

Last edited by David70; 01-12-2021 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
P111566.00