Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I prefer to think that track in any car should be experienced, and just like sex with a fat girl, it can be good and there’s nothing wrong with it.

There’s plenty of existing infrastructure to support EVs at my local tracks. Supercharger stations within 15 minute drives, 240V outlets, etc. I typically never fill up at the track, so I don’t see what the big deal is. The engineer’s Model 3 that got driven like a village bike, her car held up just fine despite being out in multiple sessions each day. She just plugs it into a 240v outlet commonly available at our local tracks for RVs, and only had to hit the Supercharging station once more to make it through the day.

As for the lack of vroom vroom sound, I’ve driven FWD “sport” sedans on track that makes plenty of vroom vroom sounds. Between the heavy understeer and lack of the ability to use the throttle to overwhelm the rear tires, and the lack of vroom vroom sound, I’d take the lack of vroom vroom. I’m just saying there are far worse cars to take to the track. Just like there are far BETTER cars to take to the track, unless you’re in a Lotus Exige S or GTx car or McLaren. The Tesla isn’t going to supplant those for a long time.

But out of all available EVs, it’s actually pretty damn good. Good enough to churn some pretty good lap times with some good tires. The fact it doesn’t make glorious combustion noise on track isn’t going to stop me from enjoying it. And mechanically it is superior to a vast majority of ICE cars on the market today on track. Unless you step up into the M cars, P cars, and AMGs and beyond, or the answer to all “which car should I get for track” questions, there’s not many cars on the market today that will out perform a Performance Model 3 on track TBH. Not for the low $56K price point.
1) Majority of tracks in North American certainly does NOT have any infrastructure to support many model 3s charging at any given moment, not at this moment, and probably the next 5 years at least, if at all. Supercharger NOWHERE near it. My local jaunt Toronto Motorsports Park's closest supercharger is 45 minutes one way. The Big Mosport track nearest supercharger is 35 minutes away. Hell the latest lapping facility near me Calabogie is literally in the middle of nowhere, and the closest supercharger? 1 hour away. My M did 50 or so laps (this was at a 4km track)on one tank of gas, and I still did not have a fuel light by the time I arrive back at the gas station. If a Tesla needed a supercharger once during every track day, that's a lot of time of driving on normal roads.

2) Not sure what performance FF sedan you are driving, but if you are trying to use power to overwhelm the rear tires in a FF you are driving it very wrong. May not be your cup of tea, but claiming that is your yardstick for performance driving is the ability to overwhelm the rear tires then perhaps you misjudged it because you have driven it wrong.

3) And absolutely nothing wrong with the 3 on the track, I am sure technologically it is superior to many cars that you can get for 56k USD new or used today, and only going to get better. But my counter argument is that not everyone gets fun from doing the fastest lap times. Many just enjoy the lap in whatever claptrap they bring. You can say that a track car should be the fastest car available, I argue that unless you are time attacking, there no such thing as 'best track car', empirically yes, but reality is that the best track car is just whatever that gets you that 'fun' from track, at a price you can afford, and if that's driving a 56k electric car then more power to you.

Look, this has gotten very off topic....

I will return to the track, one day.

Last edited by kyriian; 01-08-2021 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50