View Single Post
      01-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #206
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
So what I'm reading between the lines is that driving a Tesla at the track is kind of like dating a fat girl. It can be fun, but you don't want your friends to see you.

I have driven S, X and 3 at the limit at a test track. I've also had the pleasure of doing the same with many exotics on a closed course. I would rather take a Fiat Abarth around a track than any Tesla.

Tracks don't have the infrastructure to support EVs, and they take way too long to charge.

And you already reached a conclusion that something is missing from the driving experience.

I get EVs as people movers, and they have potential to be more fun in the future. Torque vectoring of a 3 motor EV would be way better than M active diff. But today does not exist. Today's EVs don't come close to offering the driver experience of a good IC sports car.
I prefer to think that track in any car should be experienced, and just like sex with a fat girl, it can be good and there’s nothing wrong with it.

There’s plenty of existing infrastructure to support EVs at my local tracks. Supercharger stations within 15 minute drives, 240V outlets, etc. I typically never fill up at the track, so I don’t see what the big deal is. The engineer’s Model 3 that got driven like a village bike, her car held up just fine despite being out in multiple sessions each day. She just plugs it into a 240v outlet commonly available at our local tracks for RVs, and only had to hit the Supercharging station once more to make it through the day.

As for the lack of vroom vroom sound, I’ve driven FWD “sport” sedans on track that makes plenty of vroom vroom sounds. Between the heavy understeer and lack of the ability to use the throttle to overwhelm the rear tires, and the lack of vroom vroom sound, I’d take the lack of vroom vroom. I’m just saying there are far worse cars to take to the track. Just like there are far BETTER cars to take to the track, unless you’re in a Lotus Exige S or GTx car or McLaren. The Tesla isn’t going to supplant those for a long time.

But out of all available EVs, it’s actually pretty damn good. Good enough to churn some pretty good lap times with some good tires. The fact it doesn’t make glorious combustion noise on track isn’t going to stop me from enjoying it. And mechanically it is superior to a vast majority of ICE cars on the market today on track. Unless you step up into the M cars, P cars, and AMGs and beyond, or the answer to all “which car should I get for track” questions, there’s not many cars on the market today that will out perform a Performance Model 3 on track TBH. Not for the low $56K price point.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0