Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Lease the Tesla

The iPace has crappy range and is overpriced for what you get
If you're looking into a model 3, just buy and resell it down the line. Used values are insane, you can put 20-40k miles on it over 1-3 years and lose a couple grand total on the ownership. People don't want to wait on the waitlist and Tesla tries to control what cars are released to the used market (leased cars don't have a buy out option and are recycled rather than re-sold by Tesla)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJD851 View Post
The build and paint quality is almost laughable considering the price of the car. I know folks that work in the factory, one worked for GM before and he's shocked at the tolerances and general lack of QC. I get it, you're paying for the technology etc etc but the panel fitments and paint quality are worthy of a car costing much less. My ppf installer found a bunch of these, and I was able to get the more obvious ones fixed by Tesla without much issue.
It's not almost laughable, it's a complete joke. One of my close friends (guy whose 135i convinced me to get my e92) took delivery of his 2021 Model 3 last weekend. We took it on a little road trip on Friday and I noticed that the fender to door gap gets really narrow in the middle, seems acceptable at the top, and is way too wide at the bottom. It's like the body panels are not stamped/cut properly--didn't look like any amount of adjustment would get them to fit right because the edges aren't even the same shape. This is one of countless QC grievances on the car. They even left some tape on the headliner and managed to put 10,000 miles worth of shoe scuffs on the driver's door sill on the brand new car before delivery.

The range is...fine. He has the long range 3 and we started at around 52% IIRC, drove it for about 10 hours and had to charge 3 times. All 3 times we stopped for the duration of a 20-min netflix episode (every charging spot had data service) and after that we were on our way. Battery charge ranged between 92 and 20% over the trip. If we had planned properly and left on a full charge we might've been able to get away with only 1 charging stop....but that's not something we have to plan for 12 hours in advance on a ICE car so why should we have to deal with that complication

It's not much of an inconvenience....as long as you're aimlessly driving down the coast for fun with no real schedule or destination. The charging time is really fast at a supercharger, but the exercise of finding one and planning your route around it is annoying.
I'd never buy any Electric Car, I only lease them and give them back

And as far as I know there is no wait currently on a model 3

Not worth the depreciation or the risk of ownership