View Single Post
      08-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #59
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Has anyone truly bought a car based off a review in... Car & Driver???
Surprisingly, I have, and I felt like their love of Hondas and BMWs lead me straight from one to the other. A surprisingly high % of the cars I've owned have been on the Car and Driver 10Best. Yes, sometimes they do get repetitive with the same complaints, and the information density is too low in writing, but they give everything an in-depth fair shake with details. They have a somewhat particular "enthusiast" bent to cars and as a result the slightly softer this-generation of BMWs means they're no longer satisfied.

Otherwise, the best technical reviewer I've found is savagegeese on Youtube:

He goes into an insane amount of dealer, puts the car up on a lift, goes through every aspect of the engineering and construction from the suspension/subframe assemblies to the exhaust to the very specific idiosyncrasies of each model. He offers a very balanced take on daily drivability as well as dynamic and balance.

I'd say he is clearly above the rest of the Youtube review crowd in information and video quality, and injects some hilarious understated humor in at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I remember EVERY SINGLE YEAR the registration spots for the weekend filling up within hours of it opening. Literally if you're not signing in within 24 hours, you're not doing any of the weekend sessions. You'd have to show up and they'll wait list you. Doesn't matter what cars they're bringing out. Even with the anemic 530e, the spots fill out fast.
This is crazy because I distinctly remember rushing to get a spot in the past at the LA location, too. Maybe someone in marketing dropped the ball, figuring coasting on success was good enough.

I wonder what everyone is driving now instead. Based on videos and hearsay, the 2010s wave has moved onto the Lambos and Maseratis instead, BMW is too pleb Or it could be the capital controls that China placed recently which slowed money moving out.

Also, people have massively gravitated towards SUVs since 2014 (the year when oil prices dropped from $105 to $60 in less than a year), so if it was another X3 or X5 launching, perhaps we'd see more interest.
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00