View Single Post
      12-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Dropped in from the X1 forum. Interesting to see so many different dash cam set ups. On my X1, hardwired the front + rear dash cam with parking mode, which required 2 different fuse taps (1 for power when car on/driving, another for power when car completely off).

I wanted the cleanest look possible. Rear cam was mounted on rear hatch glass and ran cabling through the passenger side cable loom rubber grommet that protects the wires between rear trunk door and the car body. Huge pain to get it through the grommet and into the interior, but do-able. Afterwards, ran rear cam wiring down the bottom of the rear and front passenger door sills to avoid interfering with air bag deployment. The front cam wiring was not bad - pulled off the A pillar trim to run the cable behind the air bag and into the area behind the glove box.

Install took longer than anticipated with snaking the rear cam wiring as I had to remove/loosen several trim pieces. Also, I spent a good amount of time testing my fuse taps choices and set up. While not difficult, there is a "right" way to install a fuse tap.

I sometimes see an "Increase battery drain detected while parked" error message when parked for 24+ hours. This disables comfort access on the rare occasion such that the door will not automatically unlock when grabbing the door handle, requiring use of the press the key fob unlock button. No big deal to me.

I'm not worried about excessive battery drain as my hard wire will cut power to camera after the battery reaches a certain voltage threshold. I've reached that threshold a few times when the car sits for 2+ days, but it's always been able to start up (so far) on the first try.
Appreciate 1