02-03-2021, 06:34 AM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateooo View Post
Has anyone tried to buy these Workshop Service Manual for f48 on ebay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X-Ser...-/114079654268

I see them selling the same for other models at £ 14 or $ 19.
Are these the same instructions as on the newtis page that is unavailable?
Yes,
I bought and downloaded the version for G01. So here are my thoughts
1. It is not a replacement for newtis which was interactive. With newtis , for any part install or removal, there were smart links for preceding and following steps which could be called up and you could quickly jump back and forth. You could also call up all parts associated with a particular factory option (great for retrofits). The forced removal of newtis was a blow to owners and BMW charge for 24 hr access to BMW tis in the US is cynical but not as dreadful as no access for majority in other countries.
2. The eBay download is just a very large 1.3gb pdf document, it is searchable but unless your computer has huge ram and a very fast processor, you can sit for literally minutes before it sometimes hangs. The quality of diagram/picture scans is acceptable but not excellent but text is always easy to read. It can be used, but is only really workable by finding relevant section in the front index and then reading the section through from start to finish. The problem is that it is unwieldy and trying to move back and forth is tricky. It does however list steps in correct order and in this respect is similar to newtis. If you want to remove/replace a part it will tell you how and in what order.
3. My conclusion is that it is better than nothing, the pdf provides material for cars with build date up to 2017 and will help by listing steps and correct order for repairs. It is also useful finding out how to access a part (for example the touch controller, which is not always obvious. The diagrams are useful but some small detail can be difficult to see and finally you will have to hunt to find exact section you need. It is over-priced.
4. There are sellers with 2017 tis/ISTA but they appear to require huge download and virtual machine. This would be much better solution and not model specific. I have not tried so have not given a link.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-06-2021 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 1