03-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Express View Post
That is very cool about the programmer Xorbitman. I also have a Cold Air Intake and if for nothing else, it sounds pretty good. I will say the nice thing about the JB+ or the Dinan is that they are relatively inexpensive, but more importantly, they can be installed and removed easily without the dealer knowing. I had a shop do an ECU tune on my car and I got a slap on the wrist from the dealership. This resulted in the dealership locking my cars DME, making it difficult for a shop to re-tune the ECU.
There is sufficient data space on the ECU in the BMWs to "hide" software programmed upgrades or tunes. And programmers can access software switches (which are in German) on or off that allow certain functions such as using LED fogs (round fog light on the older models) or LED taillights, auto on/off, handle lights to turn on when backing up, passenger side exterior mirror to point downwards while backing up, convenience door locking for mirror folding by holding the handle an extra 2 seconds, extra functions etc. My car came optioned with some options not available in the US models like the thicker glass and the digital dash that features kms/hr or MPH. My dealership didn't reprogram my ECU despite 3 oil changes so far and one Map software update. My Infiniti G37xS coupe has been tuned during warranty and my dealership didn't mention anything because they know that customers routinely tune these cars: GTRs, 370Zs and G35/37 and Q60. Infiniti even sells some performance parts including NISMO.
Appreciate 0