c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog
Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
You always a great perspective on bmw but I have to disagree a bit here. I don't think the bone many of us are picking with this car has to do with its existence but rather the styling.

In this case this car looks 100% Korean. Bmws strength has been to bring its core values to a segment.

When the first x5 was introduced it eventually won people over because it was an SUV that was actually fun to drive. BMW core values in a new segment.
With this car if you took away the roundels and kidneys I don't think anyone would think many would consider it a bmw.

So the tables are turned. It's not bmw bringing its values to a new segment. It's bmw copying other cars in a segment to make $$. If that's right or wrong is a totally different discussion.

But looking at this x2 in isolation. It's the most amount of dilution ie "selling out" we have yet seen. I can't think of any lower bar for dilution off the top of my head at this point.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I desperately want to be wrong.
You're not wrong neither are you right! Analysing how a brand's latest car 'should' look is futile, a bit like music critics analysing Bob Dylan songs!! All I see here is a great looking MODERN design, sure not everyone will like it, but on the CAR website I've yet to read a single negative post!! I keep reading comments like "it's a Korean design" but that's just utter Bo11ox!! It's simply a new direction for BMW and if they've taken some inspiration from Korean designs of late then great, there are some superb Korean designs out there and maybe the Germans will start catching up now!!
Just fyi the Korean designs are by a German person. I'm referring to Korean brands not ethnicity. So Germans can "catch up" to other Germans working for Koreans. The again most bmws are designed by non ethnic Germans right now so it's all mixed up.

Again. I'm talking about bmw brand and heritage vs aping Korean brand styling
pbjjj46.00