View Single Post
      12-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #38
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Well, I'm the old folks part of the equation. My folks and my wife's folks are gone, so tag, we're it.

My wife and I are in our early '70's and retired. We're in relatively good health, have a decently funded retirement, house is paid for, good health insurance.

Having said that, it comes down to this: health is everything. And, we have to act our age. I no longer go more than 2 steps up a ladder. I hired a grounds keeper 5 years ago to take care of our fairly large yard, etc. I did this after a close friend slipped off a ladder while washing his travel trailer. To make a long story short, he eventually suffered a stroke while recovering from his injuries and is now confined to a wheel chair - can't walk, can't talk. Terribly sad.

I still drive, but my wife voluntarily gave up driving recently. I manage virtually everything around here including our budget, doctor appointments, car maintenance, home repairs, etc. The point is, if and when I start slipping, my nearby daughter will have to manage our lives. Not a pleasant thought and that is what inspires me to not do something stupid and end up putting a burden on her.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
Lups11826.50