View Single Post
      02-25-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
31 Express
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1

Newer member Introduction (2018 X1 with misfire issue)

Hello to all,

I am somewhat new here and have learned quite a bit, mostly about performance mods as I'll never grow out of loving performance. I guess when your dad is 80 and drives a stage 2 Audi S3, your kids are probably going to be stuck with the bug too. Anyway, thank you to everyone that posts about anything related to the X1 and to the members that I've reached out to for information. I'm new to forums in general and there is great information here.

I have a 2018 X1 2.0 xDrive that I bought new in 2018. About a week after I bought the car I was driving it and it started to run like it jumped timing or like it was misfiring. It gave a drivetrain malfunction error and went in to a run safe mode. I brought the car to the dealer and they claimed it was a misfire on Cylinder #2 from a bad coil pack. They swapped coils packs and said it was all set. I drove the car for several months and the problem occurred again and this time the dealer said it was a bad injector. The Same problem happened 3 more times in the course of the first year. I should mention the the problem occurs only when it's raining heavily or if the roads are very wet, and it happens randomly. Also, after shutting the car off for a good period of time, the problem seems to correct itself until it happens again, randomly. Each time the dealer had the car they claimed the techs fixed the issue even though they could never duplicate the problem.

I called BMW North America to express my frustration of having a new car that has been back to the dealer 5 times for the same issue and they basically said too bad. I figured I was stuck with the car, which I Really like other than the misfire issue, and decided to start modding it. So, in stages I did the K&N cold air intake, Axle Back Super Sprint Exhaust and had Turner Performance tune the car on the dyno. It made 265hp at the wheels and was a blast to drive. Unfortunately the misfire issue keeps coming back. I tried different combinations of mods and back to stock to see if the problem changed or went away but no difference regardless.

The car went back to the dealer again. They said they would not work on it with the SS exhaust and with the tune. Removed the tune and put the stock exhaust back on and currently at the dealer Again. Now they are claiming the tune was responsible for the misfire. Not the case as I have proof that it started well before I did any mods or tuned the car. The car has been at different dealerships and had different techs work on it collectively over a month.
I am thinking of taking legal action but not sure if it's worth the time/money. It sucks because as I said I like the car otherwise. I will get the car back tomorrow after a week and the dealer has not been able to fix anything. Not sure what to do at this point.

Here is a picture of my car after a wash. I apologize for the off center picture but I don't have many pictures of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0