01-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #51
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Have you driven one? The ride and handling are both pretty good, IMO. Ride, in particular, is better than the X1 due to the longer wheelbase. That said, while the GLC is "bigger", it's much less space efficient. Interiors/exteriors are a matter of personal opinion, but the GLC is the best looking version of the C class. It's also priced very well -- in Australia, a GLC 220d is close to the X1 25i in pricing, and the standard features of the M-B means that's what you should cross-shop against the X1.

While I have an X1 on order, due March, I haven't ruled the GLC out yet.

I also have a X1 on order (delivery late next week hopefully)
I test drove a GLC250 (weekend loan) and must say I much preferred the X125i to drive (be it only for a weekend too).
The X1 felt much more agile, quicker and just as roomy.

Don't get me wrong, the GLC is a very nice quality machine. The interior expresses quality and luxury. The exterior looks a little overgrown B Class to me.
Having owned Mercs before, If the new X1 X-line 125i wasn't as good as it is, I would have seriously considered a GLC.

If you add all the extras onto the GLC required to match the X1 X-line 125i it is around $A17,000 or more.
It also then incurs higher Lux tax value when the final price is set. (better for the diesel)
X1 Xline125i is A$59,900 plus D/D and on-roads.
GLC250 is A$69,998 plus D/D and on-roads + extras
eg: If you want the Heads up display on the Merc it requires adding the sun roof package in at A$3,600. LED lights are also a big extra. Upgrade to 19in wheels A$2,400 (AMG + A$5,500)

One complaint that I and others who have considered the GLC is that the protruding sloped side sill was useless (no foot hold) so it made it very awkward to get in out of the vehicle.
I discovered that after the first time I got in (the inside of my trouser leg had red dirt swiped on it from the underside lip of the sill).
This means that you had to really stretch to get in out if you wanted to avoid that.
The Merc dealer advised me that all GLC coming to Australia have that sill (all for the design look I suppose).
He says that they can remove both sills and replaced them with a basic sills and a side step for additional cost of approximately A$3,000.00.

Decision made
Appreciate 1