Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
The video is pretty dark so not sure if it is the equivalent to what could be seen from the driver's seat - i.e.not sure light from headlights is equivalent for camera angle as it was for driver's seat.

I also watched it several times and the thing that stood out was that she was crossing from the left side of the road to the right. The car was traveling in the right lane, hit her in the right lane and did not seem to slow down or swerve. She was most of the way across the street. It's not the same to me as if she was crossing from right to left and just stepped out in front of the car right before impact.

The whole thing is unfortunate. She shouldn't have crossed like that, so that is clearly the starting point. I'm not certain an attentive human driver would have missed her but I'm also less than certain they wouldn't either. Also doesn't help that the emergency driver behind wheel wasn't watching the road, which sort of defeats the purpose of having anyone there.
She shouldn’t have crossed period.

There is no expectation that she had the right a way.

She also did not speed up to get out if way.

This is a defense attorneys dream case with the video.
Not so sure about that. No disputing she should not have crossed in that location. But we have all come across jaywalkers and we all know you don't have the right to run them over just because they jaywalked. As I stated, she was mostly across the road so it's not the same as stepping out in front of a moving car as she stepped off a curb.

Also, the lack of slowing down may be a strong indication that the car's ability to detect anything in front of it may be flawed. She was in the road for long enough to cross 1 1/2 lanes and the car didn't pick her up, jaywalking or not. Further the fact that it was being tested with a person behind the wheel "just in case" but that person wasn't paying attention, doesn't really help the defense.