07-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicinches
Does "full" mean with the x-pipe whereas "section 3 only" means just the standard system? If so, then I have the standard system. The exhaust drones between ~1,500 and ~1,900 rpm. I personally dislike the drone a lot, even with the valve closed (i.e. quiet). With the valve open (i.e. loud), I find the drone really annoying and cruising on the highway in 7th to be essentially unbearable. With the valve closed the system sounds noticeably louder than stock and sounds nice. With the valve open, it sounds epic. But I can't handle it for more than 10-15 minutes before I find it too loud and a bit tiring. I sometimes open the valve halfway and find it to be nice but not obnoxious. But the throatiness is best when fully open. If it weren't for the drone I'd be really happy. The problem is that you hear the drone every time you accelerate through every gear since it's really hard to avoid 1,500-1,900 rpm. And when you decelerate you go back through that rpm range again and hear the drone again. I honestly don't know how folks can drive around with the system open all of the time, but unto his each own. And I recognize that I have somewhat sensitive ears. My understanding is that if you get the x-pipe then you lose the resonators and you make the drone even worse. But maybe I'm mixed up. I hope that helps.
I respectfully disagree with this assessment (and I know we've PM'd about this) but I drove all day today with the valves closed and I experienced no drone. The revs are louder and, IMO, more exotic but I'm definitely not getting any drone and it's minutely louder than stock. Agree with your assessment of valves open: loud, drone, and, to me, awesome. I'm very satisfied with my Meisterschaft with LXR pipe and have no regrets about getting it. It is, of course, subjective, but to me valves closed is very tame.
Appreciate 0