View Single Post
      05-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

2020 LCI X1 xDrive 28i M Sport - First Impressions

Picked up a custom ordered 2020 LCI X1 xDrive 28i M Sport in mid-March. Took about 60 days from placing the order to take delivery. My delivery timeline can be found here.

After 2 months and 1,200 miles, here are my impressions:

The Good
  • Though strictly cosmetic, the M Sport package adds a lot to this car. Between the body kit, shadowline trim and wheel options available
  • Sliding/reclining seats are a godsend. The back seat has plenty of leg space for even taller passengers when pushed back and trunk space is still adequate
  • Sensatec is surprisingly decent. Suits my needs since I have a dog
  • 18" non-RFT tires make for a fairly quiet and comfy ride
  • Panoramic sunroof adds loads of light to the cabin and all of my passengers comment on it
  • Once coded to close with remote locking, the power folding mirrors are nice to have on an entry level BMW like this
  • B48 2.0T I4 engine isn't fast but it's quick and smooth. Plenty of passing power
  • HUD is amazing, I could never go back. Just wish it had Carplay integration on ID6
  • Ambient lighting is awesome at night and adds to the overall premium feel, especially for an entry level BMW

The Bad
  • I was set on non-RFT and unfortunately the beautiful 19" 816M wheels can't be spec'd with non-RFT tires. In hindsight I should've just replaced the tires after taking delivery but I guess the ride on 18" is still smoother than 19"
  • Split screen carplay is annoying and newer models with the "updated" ID6 software currently have no "hack" to resolve this
  • No blind spot monitor is pathetic but I knew this from the start
  • A bit weaker on safety features than other models in this size class, coming from a Toyota RAV4 with Toyota Safety Sense standard (e.g. While by no means mission critical, the forward collision system seems weak and lane departure warning system is mediocre at best)
  • When fueling up, the pump always stops/clicks prior to truly being full. This forces me to sit there and top it off, guessing how much more I can add until the true capacity (usually ~1 gallon)
  • Personal gripe: The M Sport package "shadowlines" everything except the grill... I paid ~$200 for the part and ~$200 for installation (bumper had to be removed). Just annoying
  • Personal gripe: The M Sport package couldn't be spec'd with the plain brushed aluminum, only the brown wood or aluminum w/ blue accent (not a fan of the blue accent at all)
  • Personal gripe: Having to activate pathway lights manually every time
  • Personal gripe: Can't have fog lights come on with low beams automatically
  • Personal gripe: In 2020, any cruise control system that will gleefully drive the car into a wall without disengaging feels a bit unacceptable. Up-charging for the radar guided cruise control is lame

The Ugly
  • These stock Conti tires are trash. Wheel hop, bump steer, whatever you want to call it - terrible. I live in NYC and the roads are pretty abysmal. While hitting bumps at highway speed on curves, the car regularly slides across the lane. Basically sliding to the outside of the turn while the car recovers from the bounce. No issues with bumps while going straight. I blame the tires as this is a brand new car so I really can't imagine it had suspension issues right out of the gate. Will look into replacing these later this summer

Overall I'm super happy coming from a 2017 RAV4. Somethings were a "downgrade" per se but overall a stunning car that I am super proud of.

Lastly, shout out to VWAudi2BMW for my last photo. Not sure if this is your company or your friend's but these blind spot mirrors are the real deal - work great and look OEM. Much easier than swapping out for euro mirrors.

Photos

Appreciate 3
CliveL163.00
iceman7117.00
Peter_R255.50