View Single Post
      06-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
cluebird
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
To start, it's very dependent on what model/engine you have. Aside from that, with no service history records, it's a matter of checking/changing whatever is needed. Any leaking gaskets and seals, fluids, fluid hoses, spark plugs and coils, serpentine belt, vacuum lines, brakes, tires, air intake filter...

For me, on a new used car, I automatically change the oil and filter regardless. Even if it looks clean and like it was recently done, you never know what oil someone used and I'd rather know it was changed with the right oil. From there I'd consider diff fluid, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant. Brake fluid can be checked by looking at it, if it's clear and not heavily discolored, it's most likely fine. Coolant can be tested with a cheap tester, so of it's the right mix and not cruddy looking, should be ok. Power steering fluid can also be inspected visually, so of it isn't black, likely to be ok...at least for a while. Diff and tranny fluid really can't be checked without opening the drain plug. Anything rubber deteriorates with age and climate and use(mileage) add to it. Inspect all hoses/vac lines/belts. Anything that looks like it has surface cracks, or is mushrooming at the connections, replace it. If the belt/s need replacing, consider doing the tensioner and idler pulley/s, as well. For final peace of mind, replace the plugs-coils are highly optional at this time, but not terribly expensive and, again, peace of mind.

With the above said, if you're paying a shop to do all of this, it'll get expensive, fast. Did the PPI shop give you a quote on the oil pan gasket?

Thanks man. Edited the post to reflect that it's a 328i. The shop quoted $800 for the oil pan gasket.

I want to do as much work as I can myself, but unfortunately I don't have a garage so would have to just work on the street, which isn't ideal. City living...
Appreciate 0