02-16-2023, 07:48 AM   #36
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The 1.8 accident stat I presumed was observed traffic data rather than respondent's opinion (it wasn't clear for that specific data). Checking Google, the WHO shows "road deaths" per "1B vehicle kilometers" (I assume that's similar to the NHSTA stat of deaths per 100 million miles - driven). Germany is 4.2 deaths, USA is 7.3, which aligns with your position. It would be nice to know what a road death is (i.e. actual traffic accident death or are pedestrians included). I'd think the US has a higher number of pedestrian deaths since traffic laws in the US give people the right of way over vehicles; I'd bet Germans aren't that stupid.
Good info.

Germany actually gives pedestrians the right of way over vehicles too. Drivers are actually really good about giving way to pedestrians here too, to the point where a lot of times pedestrians don't even look up when entering the crosswalk - which drives me crazy. I know the driver is at fault if they run you over when you step into the crosswalk, but the satisfaction of knowing that means nothing if you are seriously injured or dead.

At least pedestrians here are pretty good about obeying walk/don't walk signs.
Appreciate 0