View Single Post
      07-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #20
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I just finished working for a company that does floor coatings. I wasn't there long but here's what I did catch on to.

These are the companys my work uses --> https://www.tennantcoatings.com/am-e...s/default.aspx
--> https://www.sherwin-williams.com/pai...tings-interior

Prep:
The pores in the concrete need to be open for it to take and hold any coating/sealer. We did this by grinding the floor. I don't know if this is a machine you can rent anywhere, but I doubt you can. Also the stuff we used was either propane, 440v or 240v. It's big heavy shit. Detail work was by hand with a grinding wheel on an angle grinder.
I don't know anything about the chemical etch method. But I really would be leary of that way ... what is the toxicity or it (thinking it's basically battery acid) and when you do open the concrete and then use water to wash it, you just added a moisture variable. If you don't get all that moisture out, the concrete can soften/rot.

The other thing you need to consider is the edges. Like where the sidewall meets the floor. There is a gap there. Is moisture going to get under the floor? For the most part, moisture is the enemy.

On the Downloads tab you can read about the various stuff they have and the chemical resistances. So about the layers and such. I didn't find anything about how to apply them (which should be similar with any coating used).

The one coating I'm curious about is a truck bed liner for a garage floor. I know I spilled some on mine (bare old concrete) and it's been there for better part of 15 years now. Can't get the shit to come off.
I know with something like Raptor Liner you can add your choice of color (or metallic flake) and then spray it on. Going to cost more but the added cushion might be nice. And there's tons of colors you could do.

Far as what cost for pro stuff would go, I want to say it's around $100/sqft and up. But I really don't know.

The other thing you can do it to add thickness you can use very fine sand on the wet coating. For the shop floor and industrial stuff that pretty standard. It adds a lot of impact resistance to it. Depending on how fine the sand is and how many top coats you go, you can leave it textured or you can still get a smooth finish. Totally up to you.
Appreciate 2