View Single Post
      05-07-2021, 03:21 AM   #38
petered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xdrive 18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
I tried changing the Haldex fluid tonight and it was a total fail. You can’t remove the pump to drain the fluid or clean the screen without removing the entire Haldex unit, which involves removing the exhaust, driveshaft and other misc. parts.

The problem is the pump hits a stiffening rib on the differential housing, so you can only get the pump off about 5mm. Sucks because I feel the rib could be ground-down just a tiny bit and it would clear.

TIS removal procedure for the pump is to remove the entire Haldex unit, then unbolt the pump. I saw that but also glanced under the car and figured it would just come right out.

A little bit of fluid drained from the pump and while it was darker brown, it wasn’t the nasty black some of the VW forums show. I put it all together, topped it up with just a small amount of Ravenol AWD-H Haldex fluid and that’s about it. I supposed I’ll come up with a tiny suction hose rig to suck fluid from the top, but that’s about all the maintenance that can be quickly done on these. ��
If you remove the 4 number 13mm hex head M8 screws holding the clutch pack & input shaft assembly is it possible to rotate the housing holding the pump sufficiently to clear the fouling rib?

Last edited by petered; 05-07-2021 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: Missing info
Appreciate 0