View Single Post
      05-20-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice84 View Post
Since you guys are talking about pads... I plan on doing some autox and maybe some track days later in the summer, I will be definitely be changing pads and rotors before I go to the track day. I was think axis ultimate pads, will they hold up for a track day or should I look into something else? For rotors I will probably go with a set of Stoptech slotted rotors.
I've run the Axxis Ultimates on the street and track and found them to be competent performance street pads but lacking when it came to the track. I'd say they are only marginally better than the stock pads on the track. For beginners at an AutoX event you may find they offer a modest bump in braking performance but that may not really justify the swap from stock. Both the Ultimates and the stocks lose their composure when pushed. Imagine placing a piece of sandpaper on a glass table and running your finger across the sandpaper and then on to the glass... that's the way I describe how it feels. Everything is all good and then you reach a point (a temperature, really) where you aren't getting that bite.

Common wisdom says that for your first few days on track you won't be nearly fast enough or good enough to significantly test the various parts of the brake system (pads, rotors, fluid, etc) so running a good street pad serves just fine. Also, running a performance street pad (or stock for that matter) up to when you feel the effects of brake fade can actually be a good idea as it'll make you aware of what that feels like (scary but important to know) and what causes it to happen (brake intensive track/corner, dragging the pad on the rotor for too long, etc).

That said, I can't speak more strongly in favor of running a real track pad once you've found some confidence behind the wheel and entering brake zones with speed. There simply is no pad made that serves as a good track pad while being "streetable". But, I should also say, I've run both Hawk HT10s and Ferodo DS3000s on the street (usually for a few days after track events) and found them to be acceptable albeit a bit spooky at times when they don't bite very well when cold (ahem, and louder than Boston city buses)! I ran with the stock pads for my first 2 events in the Z4MC even though I had lots of track experience in my previous car. I was cooking the stock pads in the first session out but I kept them installed for one more event before upgrading to gain experience in handling the car when the brakes are getting a bit dicey. With that experience and now the Hawk HT10s, I have quite a bit of comfort braking very late.

As for the slotted rotors, those are definitely a solid upgrade choice when you've chewed through your stock rotors. An upgrade you may consider right off the bat is a set of stainless steel lines and better fluid (Motul RBF600). The stock rubber lines lead to some pretty squishy pedal and that isn't enjoyable regardless of what pad you're running.