View Single Post
      05-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
My main worry is brakes. I have the extended wear&tear warranty for my brakes and other stuff. The dealer won't change them until the warning light on the cluster comes on. Which it hasn't. I think it's fair play.
That's their typical line but you CAN have brake items replaced without the wear sensors being tripped. For example, I toasted through my rotors because I use track pads, well, on the track. I took the car in to get the rotors replaced after reinstalling the stock pads which had plenty of life left to them and were nowhere near tripping the sensor wire. I told them that I had worn through my pads and replaced them myself because I had an extra set. They rolled their eyes and replaced the rotors.

Quote:
Before my last LCMT - HPDE event, my brake pads were at 60% front and 50% back. I know I wore off a few mmeters off of them since.
You're probably still fine. The fronts likely wore a bit more than the rears, though. Unless you're working with like 4-5mm of pad material, I think you'll pass tech. That said...

Quote:
B) buy a set of pads as spares to bring along just in case. Now this is where plenty of questions come up.
I don't know how to change them. I know it's not complicated but I still would need help and the necessary tools with me at the track.
And if I install them, Will I have to change back to the "burnt" originals as to get my "under warranty" replacement.
I'd go this route. Get a set of track pads (ahem, Hawk HT10s) as they'll work wonders for your overall track day experience and it'll accelerate your need for new rotors! Removing pads is extremely simple, it really is, and you don't need a lot of tools at all. You may need help the first time you try but, to be honest, you probably only need a decent DIY guide. Perhaps someone looking over your shoulder can be comforting which, at the track, there is no shortage of!

Here's what I'd do. I'd order a set of track pads. Install them at home a few days before you head to the track so you can take your time and refer to all of the DIY guides that are out there. Take note of the tools you use and bring them to the track. You can either do the swap back to stock at the track or when you get back home. Just be sure to bed the track pads in after you install them. Do 5 hard stops just shy of ABS from 70-50 and then do 5 hard stops from 60-10mph. Don't come to a complete stop until you've given the pads/rotors about 5 minutes of cruising to cool down. Oh... if you do this at night and you go with track pads be prepared for sparks flying everywhere. Insanely cool if you expect it. Insanely scary if you don't.

And a quick word about running track pads on the street. They're mostly just going to be loud. But you simply need to be aware that their cold bite is going to be marginal so plan ahead. They'll stop fine if you clamp down hard in an emergency and they'll stop fine if you get some heat in them.