View Single Post
      03-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Does anyone use the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System (part # 82 11 0 026 663)? I used this charger (with cigarette lighter adapter) on my E46 M3 and never had a problem with the power connection. However, on my E92 M3, when I plug it into the cigarette lighter, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. It seems that when I turn the car off by pressing in the clutch and hitting the Start/Stop button, the car shuts down as well as the power to the cigarette lighter. However, if I turn the car off using only the Start/Stop button and hit it two or three times, the power to the cigarette lighter stays on. Has anyone else had this experience?

Here is the info about the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System # 82 11 0 026 663:

If you park your car for any extended period of time you need this little unit to keep the battery charged. Plug it in and you're all set! 1.25 Amp battery charger designed to fully charge and maintain a battery at a proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers. The new BTP micro-chip technology applies the correct peak charge, then automatically maintains the battery at the perfect float voltage which virtually eliminates battery destroying sulfation! Temperature compensation ensures optimal charge voltage even in extreme weather conditions. Powder coated aluminum chassis. Spark Proof! Reverse polarity protection ensures safety. Built in 72 hour timer will protect a marginal battery from over charging.
I used this charger also in my E46 M3 without any issues, but as in your situation it doesn't work with my MKV GTI. My theory is that most probably the lighter jack is controlled by the ECU -thru a relay/switch/module that completely shuts it down and separates it from other circuits for protection- and it is not a direct connection to the battery as in the E46 M3.

In your case I would assume that it is the same issue.

Last edited by Technic; 03-26-2008 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: syntax
Appreciate 0