Thread: PC upgrading
View Single Post
      09-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

[QUOTE=needforspeed;1395857]Cool - help would be good.

I've already got 2gig of DDR 2 800MHz 6400 RAM - will adding another matched 2 gig pair make much difference ?

Unfortunately my mainboards BIOS has no overclocking facilities built in. I can alter my RAM frequency, but that seems to be it.

From what I have read I should be able to get a bit more speed out of my CPU without extra cooling ??

I downloaded an overclocking tool from MSI (mainboard manufacturer), but if I alter any settings on it the PC just freezes.

How can I overclock without the relevant settings on the BIOS?[/QUOTE

It depends what you're using your computer for. If you're doing a lot of graphics editing, or high-def scanning, then yes 4Gb would be a great idea. Especially if you're running Windows Vista. But if it's XP you're running, and you're only using it to play games, then 2Gb is fine.

The e6600 chip is good for overclocking, but you need a tweaker's motherboard which will let you adjust the bus speed, ram clock settings and thresholds in the BIOS settings. Using software to try and overclock will always make a computer freeze. The other thing to bear in mind though is that not all stepping variations of the Intel chips are good for clocking - it is a bit hit and miss.

My advice? Forget about the overclocking and just enjoy gaming. I'm sure it's fast enough as it is for Rainbow Six... if you really need more speed, change the chip.
Appreciate 0