09-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
I've always found it was as cheap to buy a new PC than replace all the bits that needed replacing with the relatively bleeding edge stuff I like to buy (not quite the latest and best but when I replace I buy in the top 25% or so of capabilities at that time), particularly if you want "better" monitor and the architecture as a whole changes requiring new motherboard etc.... As an example Dell are currently selling a nice looking cor 2 duo with 19" flatscreen for £279 plus VAT. It is fun though, we recently b*****ardised a NAS at work to get 4 hard disks then bought the bits for a few hundred quid to make a PC based NAS with 1.6TB of storage. Was very satisfying. Around the same time someone's power supply went on their PC and we diagnosed and replaced it. Despite being in IT I hadn't done much PC hardware stuff before that, and I enjoyed it.
I did think about getting a new base unit from EBAY or similar .. I ended up spending £270 on the mainboard, DDR2 RAM and processor. Graphics card was another £200 on top.

I could have bought a new PC with an e6600 chip for similar money, but then the graphics card wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

As it is ... it's a bit of a frankenstein affair now, since the original mobo had various odd connectors for scart sockets and the like, which are not no longer used.
Appreciate 0