09-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Haha I've been customizing and building PCs since the early days of the 386SX...! Remember one of those? It was a 16Mhz chip, with 128k cache... and was the mutt's nuts at the time.

You can overclock your 2.4Ghz Duo chip, but you will need extra cooling - you can use a fancy water-cooled case etc, but the amount of money you'll spend on it, you should just sell the Duo chip and buy a 2.8Ghz Extreme (four cores as opposed to two)... However, one of the biggest differences in speed is by increasing the memory size to 2Gb, or at the very most 4Gb. (no point using over 4Gb of memory, as Windows Vista / available software doesn't take full advantage of >4Gb RAM).

If u want/need any help, ask away..

Cool - help would be good.

I've already got 2gig of DDR 2 800MHz 6400 RAM - will adding another matched 2 gig pair make much difference ?

Unfortunately my mainboards BIOS has no overclocking facilities built in. I can alter my RAM frequency, but that seems to be it.

From what I have read I should be able to get a bit more speed out of my CPU without extra cooling ??

I downloaded an overclocking tool from MSI (mainboard manufacturer), but if I alter any settings on it the PC just freezes.

How can I overclock without the relevant settings on the BIOS?
Appreciate 0