View Single Post
      04-29-2023, 06:41 PM   #20
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M

Just installed my passenger side engine mount. Thanks to previous posters for advising that it is possible to get the mount out without AC disassembly. I had no trouble. Just to clarify, the mount will come out the side so you must remove the inner fender liner. I could not get it out the top - too much stuff in the way. I purchased the mount from FCP with their lifetime warranty for about $139. BMW quoted me $1800+ w/o tax, shop fees, etc. so I saved about $2000 doing this job myself. You will need some special tools such as Torx sockets, swivels and extensions to get at the bolts. The plastic bumpers that the rubber AC line mounts attach to unscrew with a 16mm wrench, after the mount is out of the car. Reuse them on the new mount. There is also another white plastic clip to reuse. Torque value seems quite high that someone previously posted at 74ftlb. It broke my swivel. This car had a rumbly type noise coming from the steering column when the wheel was moved back and forth. That is now gone with the new mount. I surmise that the mount was bottoming out when the wheels were turned sending a vibration through the steering column. So anyone with that subtle vibration or rumble in the steering at very low speeds i.e. backing out of a garage, the mount is your culprit. Took me about 3 hours one day and finished with 3 more hours the second day but I disassembled the cowl area unnecessarily trying to free up space to take the mount out the top. Not worth trying. First pic shows an AC line bracket that must be removed - bolt is already out. If you look close you can see that I had to cut away slightly some of the black plastic bracket with my Dremel to get at the Torx bolt adjacent to the AC bracket. 2nd pic shows old and new mounts with plastic posts and white clip already removed from old and installed on new mount. 3rd pic shows the opening from which the mount is removed inside the front right fender well with plastic liner removed. Good luck to all who brave this job but it helps the car feel new again.
Attached Images

Last edited by S4Sprint; 04-29-2023 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Added comment about Dremel.
Appreciate 0