04-21-2015, 02:01 AM   #2
TwinTurbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia_dawg View Post
As you can see from picture, after i ran my car through automated "touchless" carwash, i see this chip right above left grille... I am not sure if it is from wash or it happened while i was driving. Anyways, what can I do to make this go away? Any comment is appreciated.
Thanks!
I don't think its possible for a car wash to cause a chip like that. It most likely occurred while driving. I only have 700 miles on the car and I already have a chip like that above my front headlight from rocks/road debris.

Your options are fairly limited. If the chip is simply in the clear coat, you may be able to buff the area with a cutting pad and an abrasive polish. This will smooth out the damaged clear coat and make the chip less noticeable.

If the chip is deeper or through the clear or the color coat, you're pretty much out of luck. You're going to have to fill the chip with paint/clear coat. Do a search for "Chip Repair" places in your area. My dealer had a guy who would come on-site to repair chips. He would fill the chip with touch-up paint and then wetsand the area to get the touch up paint level with the original paint. Then he would polish the area with a buffer and you could hardly notice anything was done.

If you feel up to it, you may be able to take on wetsanding yourself, but if done wrong you can turn that very minor chip into an expensive bumper respray
Appreciate 0