View Single Post
      11-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #6
MrGoodfella
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2018 XDrive MSport 118d

I have just had my X1 118d 2018 manual returned after BMW had to fit a new gearbox.
I have owned the car only since Aug 19 after buying it from a well know UK ex-lease car stockist. The car its self had 16k miles on it and was reg in Sep 18.

Within a few days of owning the car, I noticed what I described as a slight noise (like a pen vibrating on the dash, just at a slightly higher frequency) from what seemed to be from within the cabin, when either accelerating hard or doing motorway speeds... the sound was intermittent (ie didnt happen everytime I drove like either example), but when it did come on it was very irritating.

I lived with it until Oct and then booked it into a BMW dealership to get it looked into, fully expecting it to be a loose bit of trim on or behind the dash.

Initially it was in for just one day, whilst they looked into it. I took it out with the technician so he could hear it and was able to get the noise to happen.. he looked puzzled and said it did seem to becoming somewhere from behind the dash.. however after leaving the car with them, I picked it up later that day, with them not being able to recreate the noise again and asked if they could have it for 3 days in Nov to look more deeply at it.

Nov came and dropped car off (they loaned me a lovely new 520d Tourer, so I wasnt complaining) and after 2 days I got a call to say they had been able to recreate the noise and after investigating it further they found small metal pieces in the gearbox oil, so a new gearbox was required.

They had the car for a total of 6 working days and just got the car back yesterday.. all seems OK, but has anyone else had a similar issue to this?
Appreciate 0