View Single Post
      10-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #22
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quick update re efficiency and noise.

Guildford to Hampstead Heat and back, 65% motorway, 35% A-road or 40 to 50 mph speed limit, I achieved 37 mpg average. OK traffic, relaxed drive. That's not that bad and is only about 20% off the official figures. This is just one drive though, and with a brand new engine. These numbers will definitely change. I don't think I can realistically come up with an average efficiency this early on.

Noise... I'll divide this into three categories:

-- Engine noise: No issues what so ever. It's quiet when it needs to be (cruising on the motorway, slow speed, etc.) and grumbles like a feisty little monster when you push it hard. Very pleasant.

-- Tyre noise: I have the standard 18" wheels with run flats (50 sidewall). They're quiet on the A3's brand new asphalt. Ridiculously loud on M25's old concrete surface (J10 to J11). But even a Rolls Royce will sound like a god damn tank on that surface. Average on the M40's old asphalt. Nothing out of ordinary for run flat tyres. 17" (55 sidewall) are definitely going to be the quietest. Good luck if you have 19" wheels!!

-- Wind noise: A bit more than I expected. Wing mirrors aren't that big. So I'm guessing it's because I have a panoramic roof. Nothing distracting or annoying though. I'm sure it'll be quieter without the pano roof.

Overall, it's a quiet car when you need it to be. It's loud, mean and angry when you want it to be.

Diesel is obviously going to be a completely different experience.
Appreciate 1