View Single Post
      10-25-2015, 04:28 AM   #11
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Thanks, guys. I went out for a quick A-road/B-road test drive last night. Here are few updates:

-- Driving modes + EDC: The difference between Eco-Pro/Comfort modes and Sport is significant. Everyhting gets super sharp. Suspension is noticeably more rigid. Transmission shifts late and the acceleration is way sharper. But to be honest, I don't think I'll be using Sport mode a lot. If you have EDC, you can edit Sport mode to sharpen your drivetrain and chassis independently. Default mode when you start the car is Comfort and as many of you know, it's not possible to change that. EDC is definitely worth the extra.

-- Transmission: very smooth, no matter how aggressive or relaxed you drive. It's changes gears smoothly even in Sport mode where it allows you to rev up more than usual.

-- Petrol torque: more than enough for daily drives and overtaking. It's available very early on and allows you to take off with confidence.

-- Matt oak trim: If you're buying xLine and can spend a tiny bit extra on eye candy, go for it. It was unanimously the first comment I got when family/friends/neighbours saw the interior.

-- Auto Start/Stop: Very smooth and barely noticeable.

-- Auto highbeam: it's super responsive with no more than a 1~2 seconds delay.

-- Standard seats: I read a lot of comments about people panicking that they're from the Mini, not supportive enough, etc. But really, they're fine. Obviously Sport ones look and feel better. But for standard seats, they are great. I'm 1.71, average build, and they feel secure and comfortable. They're a little narrow, but nothing to worry about unless you're... ehhem... big boned! Note that manually adjustable standard seats do not have "tilt" adjustment (unlike manual sport). They only go backward/forward/up/down + backrest tilt. This is probably the most intimate option you will have to decide on and is very subjective. Try both and don't just go by the reviews.

-- Armrest vs driver's side seat belt latch: It's tricky to get to the latch, thanks to the stupid armrest. I'm also not a big fan of the open compartment under the armrest. Wish it acted as a door and closed it properly, hiding my stash of chewing gums.

-- UK versions don't get a luggage net: It's £49 extra. Even if you have extended storage (standard in Sport and xLine), you're still going to have to order it separately.

-- Auto parking assist: smooth and accurate. Driver is in charge of acceleration and braking, which is how it should be IMO.

It's too early to comment on efficiency yet. I also can't yet comment on cabin noise. Will be driving on the M-25's old tarmac towards Heathrow is a few days. That should be a good noise test.

Any specific questions or requests, let me know.

Last edited by KPD; 10-25-2015 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 2