03-07-2017, 04:25 AM   #10332
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Alan will get back to you, certainly, but many of us post from Flickr, including Alan. If you click on the image, it'll take you to Flickr, where you'll see the kit and settings. Since this is a 25-sec. exposure, he was certainly using a sturdy tripod.

You'll see a lot of excellent Canon images here, but don't feel like you need to change brands. You can get great results with either and Sony, Pentax, Fuji, etc., etc. aren't so bad either.

Dave
Great advice and info from Dave as always.

As mentioned Balfron, if you do go to Flickr you will find the full EXIF info there.
But for convenience here is the kit I use for these shots -
Canon 5DIII + Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L lens.

As Dave mentions, a sturdy tripod is the key to a good, steady night shot with long exposures.
My favourite tripod for these shots it a very ancient Linhof tripod. I actually inherited it from an uncle of mine in 1989 (!!!), so I've had it for 27 years and I've no idea how long he had had it before that. It's marked as 'Made in West Germany'.
It's so heavy and sturdy that I always joke that I think it was probably made from leftover bits from a Panzer tank.

The other 2 shots, Lossie Estuary and The Rainbow, were taken on my little Fuji X-T1.