View Single Post
      07-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #18
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briteboy[iCE]
Why does everyone get their panties in a bunch when there's talk of future BMW's being SMG-only (and no manual)? I got SMG on my e46 M3 and would not ever trade it for manual. The latest SMG technology shifts the car faster than any manual driver could. so why would you purposely choose a transmission that you know is slower than SMG??
I didn't like it because it was jerky, non-intuitive, and I felt "hampered" by it more than anything else. I actually liked the DSG tranny in the Audi A3, though, and I think that this is the future of the paddle shifting. The Audi tech with this feature is better in my opinion. I liked the DSG so much I almost bought the A3 FOR the transmission, rather than in spite of it.

I agree that faster shifting is better in most cases, but it has to be user friendly, and not make you look and feel like a retard even when you are actually a pretty good driver. (lurching around when shifting, for example).Unfortunately, the SMG does that, or at least it did to me in the e46 M3 I drove, but then again maybe I don't know how to pull a paddle correctly...
Appreciate 0