View Single Post
      07-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Review compilation: The big, bad 335is coupe/convertible DCT vs. M3 sedan 6MT thread

I drove a 6MT M3 today and man the car is amazing. Going from a FBO 335is DCT to this car you can really feel the difference in stepping up the game to an M

I drove the car in a downtown area so i didnt really get it out of 3rd/4th but I was able to get on the throttle in 1st and 2nd and the exhaust really opens up nicely from being almost too quiet at idle. I had all the settings on Sports + and going over some railroad tracks and less than ideal road surface the car felt firm and the suspension wasn't as stiff as some people like to call it.

One thing driving the 6MT confirmed was that the car needs a DCT. I've owned an 08 335i MT and all my previous cars have been MT. But it just didn't feel right in the M. Call me blasphemous but the pedal was too high in the car, in my comfortable seating position my knees were uncomfortably high resting on the clutch pedal and while the engagement was good the throws are not short in a sporty way as some have stated. Drive an s2000 and u'll know what a buttery smooth transmission should be like with a nice short throw shifter. The car also felt too big and clunky with a 6MT.

Other than that the car's look/stance blew me away. From the outside (SO color) the car is a lot smaller than one would think thanks to the wide rear end, it almost made me consider asking the dealer how much it would cost to take this one off the lot on looks alone.

Can't wait for my M4 to arrive.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0