04-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #193
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Fair enough.

I absolutely agree that these current cars dip much further downmarket than anything they've done in the (recent) past, but at the end of the day AMG get to decide what cars get the badging and which ones don't.

I think the notion that I take issue with is the idea that there's some hard historical rule about "What an AMG is." I get the hand built engine thing, but as far as I know, that wasn't some historical mandate the company was founded with. It was a (very cool) thing they did for quite a while, but now AMG have decided to not make it a universal thing anymore. That sucks and it's fully worth lamenting that loss. But companies have to change what they do all the time in the name of profits. And if they want to put their name and their badge on a mid-level Mercedes, I guess they can go for it.

I agree. The companies are purposely blurring the lines and not defining what an AMG or //M actually is. They'll tell a 55/63/65/70/m2/m3/m4/m5/etc buyer something completely different from a 43/53/m240/m340/m550/etc buyer.

Audi does the best job with their S and RS. For some reason it doesn't feel as cheap and/or gimmicky. And that's probably a result of the lower tiered S's coming out first instead of vice versa.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50